How to use the transaction types in the Virtual Terminal
The different transaction types available in the Virtual Terminal.
What are the different Transaction Types in the Virtual Terminal?
The Paya Virtual Terminal can process several different types of transactions.
- Sale: the standard credit card transaction. Places an authorization on the card for the requested amount. Ready for settlement.
- Auth Only: also known as a "pre-auth". Places an authorization on the card for the requested amount; however, the amount can be adjusted once to accommodate for shipping, tip, or other charges that cannot be determined at the time of authorization. Must be adjusted or captured before it can be settled.
- Credit: a refund. Used to put money back onto a card. Ready for settlement.
- Force: an offline transaction. Used to insert a transaction into your batch, when you have a pre-existing approval code. Ready for settlement.
Ttransactions may show as one of these types after they have been processed:
- Prior Auth: also knows as a "post-auth". This is either a Force transaction, or an Auth Only that has been adjusted or captured.
- Void: a transaction that was canceled prior to settlement. Can not be settled.
- Expired: a transaction that was not settled within seven calendar days of authorization.
If you have questions or require additional information, please submit a ticket and we will be in touch with you shortly.